Latest posts by Bilna Sandeep (see all)
- “Meenakshi’s Creativity” – When a mom’s passion for art comes to life| The Lady Entrepreneur Series - August 30, 2017
- Check out these stuffs you can Buy from India for Pre-Schoolers (and save a few bucks) - July 10, 2017
- Our Move to Dubai : The Good, the Not so Good and the Unexpected - June 12, 2017
When I had published my post on “How to start a Blog and start making money from home?”, some of my friends asked me, can you really make money blogging. As promised in the post, I shall share with you the ways that helps me earn through this blog. If you have gone through my “About Me” page, you would know, making money from a blog was no where near my ambition when I started off with this blog. I started it because I wanted to have an outlet to share my thoughts.
Slowly as time passed I realized I am deeply passionate about blogging. And I began to spend huge amount of my time for the blog. I did it for my passion. However, when you start spending so much of your time, you start getting those frowned looks from family, extended family and friends of course. I try to explain the joy I get by knowing the fact that someone some where reads my blog and the thought that I could make a little positive difference in their life is what fuels my passion to write. But many of them told me, why not make productive use of your passion to blog.
How to earn money from your BLOG using Affiliate Marketing ?
Is it really possible to make money blogging?
If you are not really convinced, check out the monthly income report of this website, EntrepreneurOnFire. They made $542,658 in October 2015 alone. Out of it Affiliate marketing alone contributes $113,809.
Harsh Agarwal is one of my favorite Indian Bloggers. And you can see he has made $16,877 in September 2015. And $11,126 comes from Affiliate marketing alone.
Are you shocked seeing all the figures? I was in fact shocked reading the income reports of so many bloggers around the world. I started off with Affiliate Marketing in January 2015. And guess what, I had not made a single penny from it for the first 6 months. It was in July 2015 last year I got my first earning through Affiliate Marketing. It was only $2 from Amazon.com. But that 2 $ actually changed the way I looked at Affiliate Marketing. I tell you its not easy. But it’s definitely possible to do it. It is one of the most passive and easiest ways in which you could earn your income.
So What really is Affiliate Marketing?
In the most simple words, when you sign up to be an Affiliate, you can recommend the products you use (and trust) to your readers. If your readers click through your link and make a purchase of the product, you receive a certain amount as commission.
so next question, What if the reader does not make a purchase after clicking through your link and comes back later after few days and make a purchase of the product? This is where the “Cookie” comes. The Affiliate Networks retain a data from every user who visits them and keeps a record of it. If your readers come back and make a purchase within the “Cookie Period” then the credit goes to you and voila, you get a pre agreed percentage of the item cost in your Earnings(this Cookie Period can vary one month, 2 month etc depending on your affiliate network).
Now Where Do I Start?
Yes. Now that you are all set to venture into Affiliate Marketing. I shall mention few of the Affiliate Networks I am part of and that you too can be a part of. Before that make a list of the type of products you would want to recommend. Here are a few examples from my own blog.
Your Hosting Server
My blog is hosted on Bluehost. You can go to their website and sign up as an Affiliate Partner. Everytime you recommend BlueHost to another blogger or someone who wants to start a Website/blog, and they make a purchase, you get a commission.
All you have to do is, sign up to the Affiliate Programs and get started. There is something you need to keep in mind. Amazon has many regional website. Sign up to the ones that are more relevant and people are more likely to buy. Here in UAE, we do not have Amazon.com delivery as far as I know.
So what I do is, I use Amazon.in, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com links separately depending upon the post and the chances of majority of traffic that might come from which country to that particular post. Though my audience is comparatively lesser from US, my first Affiliate sales was made from Amazon.com. This is due to the Amazon Store I have put up on my site.
There are many such Affiliate Networks. But what makes me love Amazon is its simplicity and the wide range of products. They have products that suit very common man to the products that are highly expensive. And another feature with Amazon is, all you need to do to earn money is to get your readers to the Door-Step of Amazon. Even if they are to buy a different product that you did not recommend, you still get the commission for it. All you need to do is to get them to click the inks through your website. Doesn’t it sound simple? Well, its not so easy as you think. You will need to experiment around and find your best way to promote the products.
Few Tips to Earn Money with Amazon
- Your honest product reviews like this one that I wrote about Pigeon Manual Breast Pump, or First 100 words are a sure shot way to get your readers attention.
- You Can link to the Today’s Deals page on Amazon
- My Best Selling Products usually came through the Baby Products on Amazon. Find your best Niche and Link to that particular department on Amazon which will then show up the best deals in that department.
- You can also link to the Best Sellers page in your Niche like this.
Commission Junction and ShareASale
These are Affiliate Networks I use widely for the Travel related products as well as for promoting my Blogging and Social Media Products. There are a wide range of products for almost any category and niche. The products that I have recommended using these networks includes:
Blogging and Social Media Tools: I have used Commission Junction and ShareASale to promote these and a few more products in this Niche.
- Inmotion Hosting (Commission Junction): Though I use BlueHost for my blog hosting, I have seen many of my fellow blogger friends who have been successfully using Inmotion Hosting for their blog. Therefore I recommended Inmotion Hosting along with Bluehost on my blog Post How to move from WordPress.com to WordPress.org
- I also promote Hootsuite (using ShareASale) which is a Super Easy tool that can help you grow your twitter account. Here’s the post I wrote on “How to grow your blog using Social Media and Networking”
- Blog Themes: I promote Genesis Framework from StudioPress for themes, which is one of the best themes available. Elegant Themes also offer good themes, their highlight being they are very economical.
Articles Related to Travel and Corresponding Products:
- I have been Promoting Emirates and Etihad Airways through this travel article I wrote: A Complete Guide to Air Travel with Babies and Kids.
- I also have promoted Anantara Resorts and Spa in the post Places to visit in Abu Dhabi for the Nature Lovers.
Here’s a list of a Few Shareasale Programs worth joining.
- Grammarly (once you sign up for their affiliate program, wait for their welcome email and they pay you just for placing their banner on your website)
- StudioPress Affiliate Program
Read My detailed post on “The BEST ShareASale Affiliate Programs for Bloggers”.
This is something that has been working great for me. A majority of my readers are from UAE and the chances for them to buy products from Souq.com, which is a very popular Online Shopping destination in the Middle East, is more.
Few Places where I have been using Souq Affiliate Links
- Many of our Beauty Section articles by Silpa Abhilash, has a lot of Affiliate Links from Souq embedded in it.
- When I wrote about the Best Christmas Board books for Toddlers
- How to save money on Grocery Shopping in the UAE?
Another Point to note:
Though I have mentioned about Affiliate Marketing Links in my Disclaimer page, I always make sure to mention at the end of each post about the Affiliate Marketing links used. This is important because I respect the trust my customers have put in me and I want to state it very clearly to them.
Now what are you waiting for? Sign up for the Affiliate Marketing Networks and Start Earning Money. If you are already doing Affiliate Marketing, would you love to pour in some more suggestions, tips and tricks? Also let us know if you know of any better networks that can generate good sales?
If you are yet to start a blog, You should definitely check out these guidelines here: How to start a blog ans start making money from Home?
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are Affiliate Links and I earn a commission for any sales made through these links. However you get the products at the same rates and quality. Thank You for supporting my efforts and this blog.
Pin It here: